“What is success? I think it’s a mixture of having a flair for the thing you are doing; knowing that it is not enough, that you have got to have hard work and a certain sense of purpose.” ~Margaret Thatcher
We all have different ideas of what success means in our life. But no matter what your definition of success involves, achieving that accomplishment involves some universal actions and attitudes. Here are 15 steps to move you along the path to realizing your goals and dreams.
- Positive Thinking: Optimism and thinking about what you want to achieve is a necessary condition for bringing out your strengths, capabilities and talents.
- Do What You Love: Find your element: the right occupation, field of study, hobby, etc. that is in line with your passion and your capabilities. Be honest with yourself about your purpose in life. Then go for it!
Have a Big, Bold, Clear Vision: know what you want and where you’re headed.
- Set Aside Time for Daily ‘Reflection’: Nurture your vision every day by spending 20-30 minutes alone contemplating your goals, how you’ll achieve them and where you want to be in 5 years.
- Avoid Over Planning: Setting a strategy to reach your goals is great, but over planning can result in paralysis. Perfection isn’t reality. Set goals, execute and fine-tune along the way.
- Develop a Work-Life Balance: Avoid becoming a workaholic. Spend time with friends and family, have fun and enjoy life. It is critical to recharge and rejuvenate yourself.
- Try Something New: Think outside the box, do something that challenges you mentally and physically, putting you outside your comfort zone
- Exercise: Keeping fit and healthy is a must. It reduces stress and gets creative juices flowing.
- Be Willing to Try, Try Again: know that mistakes and failures are not setbacks but rather move you closer to your goals and dreams. Stay in the game: don’t give up!
- Be A Life-Long Learner: Learning doesn’t end when you get your degree. Read books and articles. Attend seminars and workshops. Continually acquire information about what interests you.
- Write It Down: When you get sudden flash of genius, write it down. Keep a journal handy or make a note on your Smartphone of your ideas for future reference.
- Take The Lead: Plan your family vacation, coach a team, organize a team building event. Taking leadership roles will boost your self-confidence.
- Keep Your Priorities on Track: Steer clear of behaviors, activities and attitudes that can derail your goals. Use your resources wisely, stay focused, avoid becoming complacent, learn to say no to things that steer you off track.
- Be Present: Focus on what you are doing right this moment. Concentrate on the conversation you are having or the activity you’re engaged in. Don’t worry about the past or contemplate the future.
- Cultivate Relationships: Develop genuine, mutually beneficial relationships. Surround yourself with people that inspire and support you, that have similar ideas and philosophies. Treat everyone with genuine respect and kindness. Always express your appreciation.